Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

The Importance of Reflection

As musicians, many of us are reflective my nature. How did that performance really go? Is there a better practice technique to implement that will get the desired effect? Will an alternate fingering help facilitate that technical passage with increased accuracy?

For those of us who also teach, the reflections continue. How much of today's lesson did my student truly understand? What exercises will be beneficial to the student's development? How could I have better explained that concept? Is this better understood through explanation, demonstration, or self-exploration?

Summer's relaxed schedule is a perfect time for extended periods of reflection for me. This year, I am reflecting upon my own musical development. By taking a look at the experiences and repertoire my teachers' incorporated at various stages of my learning, I am observing how my musical path led to the collaborative arts that I now enjoy. Additionally, I am finding myself challenged to find ways to use some of these same techniques to pass on the gift of collaboration to a new generation of students.

By reflecting, I am learning more about myself, my philosophy of teaching, and my approach to training young pianists. These insights are turning my musical memories into a learning lab where I can observe master teachers and consider firsthand the effect the various approaches had upon the student.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny you mention reflecting in the summer, because I always make my resolutions at that time as well and never at New Year.
    I had never thought about the fact that I had a special reflection topic per summer, but come to think of it I do too.
    I just finished my doctorate coursework, and this summer for me is about finding what I truly want to do: music directing musicals, accompanying, having my own teaching studio, teaching in a university, etc. I really hope the summer helps me shine a light on the rest of my life, and help you with your reflection as well!

    Geraldine
    http://www.geraldineinabottle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geraldine - Thanks for your comments. As a recent DMA grad, I understand EXACTLY where you are! Here's where my personal experience has led me so far. I decided what I wanted to do after graduation (thinking I could only do one of the things you mentioned) and nothing panned out. As soon as I accepted that I could do a little of all of it in the interim, my life became full of opportunities to do what I love--making music.

    Best wishes as you continue your reflection and make plans for you future. I can't wait to hear how things turn out for you.
    Kennith

    ReplyDelete