Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Great Beginnings

Summer has finally come to an end for me. A new year of teaching begins on Monday morning. I'm ready to get back to it, but there is always that slight twinge that longs for a longer vacation. I have spent much of the week preparing for the coming semester, making adjustments and revisions to my procedures and refining lectures that I wasn't happy with. I'm expecting a great beginning next week.

In keeping with the theme of beginnings, my mind was racing while driving this afternoon through all of the wonderful beginnings found in music literature. I don't know about you, but I enjoy a piece so much more if it has a good opening that simply draws me in. I decided to limit myself to trying to determine my three favorite openings. While all of these may not be perfect openings, they are the ones that speak most directly to me.

Chopin's Ballade #3 in Ab Major is so simple in its chorale-like tune, but beautifully written.

I love the haunting opening of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and can't listen to it enough!

Last (but certainly not least), it is without argument that the opening moments of Orff's Carmina Burana are among the most dramatic and exciting in music literature.

What are some of your favorite beginnings from music literature? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment