Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Long Distance Recitals

One of the benefits of being a relative neophyte in the collaborative arts is the constant opportunity to encounter new challenges in my profession.  I have been asked to collaborate with a close friend of mine who will be presenting his final graduate voice recital later this semester.  Rehearsals will be limited due to geographical separation;  he is working in Florida while I am currently in Arkansas.

Fortunately much of the program is comprised of chansons and American art songs that are familiar.  Despite their familiarity, there are numerous options in regard to phrasing and tempi.  In order to insure that our time together is as productive as possible, I am taking a few steps to make sure both performers are approaching the music from common ground.

First, I have asked for a CD containing performances that he is using in his own preparation.  While I generally do not like to listen to recordings when preparing a performance, in this case I see how it can be a time saver and give us both a standard performance that we can discuss via email.

Secondly, I am taking the score's metronome markings literally. There may be some fluctuation of tempo when we rehearse, but the published markings will give us both a common starting point.  For those pieces that include no metronome marking, I am listening to recordings online and sending him the metronome markings that I am rehearsing.  In both situations, he can alert me in advance if he plans to sing the work significantly faster or slower.

Lastly, I am spending time in my practice time to sing the vocal lines.  (Thankfully there are not many dogs around my piano;  the howls of horror would be rather frightening!)  This is not an attempt to achieve a high-level vocal performance on my part;  rather, it is to become intimately aware of those places where additional time may be needed for breathing.  While I may not catch them all, I will find the most obvious and be prepared to allow adequate time for the singer to reload.

How do you prepare for a recital when the soloist is not close enough to allow for rehearsals?  Fortunately, I have worked with this musician for several years and am acquainted with his preferences and musical interpretations.  I anticipate a successful recital -- and lots of fun -- as we return to the stage together.

3 comments:

  1. When I've been in situations where I know only a few rehearsals will be possible, I also practiced the pieces at a lot of different tempi, in case the singer wanted to vary dramatically from the tempo marking.
    I think the main danger in your situation is that the singer would always play with the same rehearsal pianist and get accustomed to that pianist's tempo and interpretation.
    It might be safer for the singer to be rehearsing with several different pianists for him to remain flexible until you join him.
    Good luck!

    Geraldine
    http://geraldineinabottle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight, Geraldine! The issue of only rehearsing with a single pianist hadn't crossed my mind, but obviously would make a huge difference. The varying tempi is a real possibility as well -- we're doing the Copland Old American Songs -- and we ALL know what can happen with those works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following graduate school, a singer I had played for a lot moved to Brooklyn. I was on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, so travel time was a problem.

    We rehearsed over the phone! Perhaps surprisingly, it worked very well. Why not have a phone call w/your singer? Ask him to sing so you can get close to his idea of tempo, and also any spots you think might be problematic.

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete