Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Returning to Familiar Places

Last week, I returned to southern California to visit friends and the school that I loved.  Now I have decided it is also time to return to something else familiar:  my blog.

In keeping with the idea of returning, I made the conscious decision to revisit some familiar solo repertoire in preparation for an upcoming recital.  As I have begun to reacquaint myself with the C major and Bb minor Preludes and Fugues from Book I of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, my perspective on the composer's work has also changed.

During my formative years, I hated to be assigned anything by Bach - or any other Baroque composer for that matter.  I found the counterpoint to be tedious, lacking melodic interest.  What I once considered an exercise is now revealing itself to be profoundly deep and fulfilling music.  I am now understanding why my teachers told me that I would find myself appreciating Bach's music more and more as I aged.  I'm not so sure I like what that says about my fleeting youthfulness, but at least I am enjoying some wonderful music that lessens the blow.  Okay, back to practicing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment