Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Christmas in July


Silent Night.....Joy to the World......Carol of the Bells.....These are just a few of the pieces that are on my practice list at the moment. I find it so ironic that I'm playing Winter Wonderland in shorts with the air conditioning set at a cool 72. Why you may ask? Next week, I head into the recording studio to begin work on a Christmas CD.


Honestly, since I only play these arrangements for such a short period of time each year, I tend to forget that there are actually some tricky passages in the arrangements. It's surprisingly nice to have the luxury to actually work out some of the fingerings and rhythms that I just glossed over last Christmas.


As though that wasn't enough, it's also time to begin listening to Christmas musicals for the church and begin making selections about what we'll be doing this year. Rehearsals will start in October for the children, so I need to get a selection made this month in order to have two months of planning with my production team prior to rehearsals. I'm beginning to wonder how many different arrangements of Away in a Manger there can be for children's choir; sadly, I'm not running into very many of them that I actually like!


I'm ready to put up the tree and hang the garland as all this Christmas music is getting me in the mood for the holiday season. If only the summer weather would cooperate! Anyone want to join me for some egg nog and Christmas cookies?

No comments:

Post a Comment